Seven years ago, on 6 June 2012, thousands of network operators / Internet Service Providers, content providers, website operators, businesses and organizations came together to permanently enable IPv6 on their networks and sites. It’s been amazing to see the the growth since that time! Google’s IPv6 statistics show excellent growth from 2012 with their global IPv6 stats now around 25%.
Our own IPv6 measurements also show that continued growth, with some network operators showing now over 60%, 70% and even 90% IPv6 deployment.
This is great to see, and we look forward to seeing the growth continue over the years ahead.
To that end, what can you do today to help promote further growth of IPv6?
If you are seeking ideas, we have several suggestions:
- Start deploying IPv6 now if you haven’t already.
- Add into your Requests for Proposals (RFPs) requirements such as RIPE-554: Requirements for IPv6 in ICT Equipment.
- Take advantage of existing IPv6 deployment information including the Internet Society’s Deploy360 Programme.
- Share last year’s State of IPv6 Deployment 2018 with management or others who may not understand where IPv6 deployment is.
- Register your network with the World IPv6 Launch statistics so that it can be added into our stats.
- Write an article about IPv6 and share it on social media with the hashtag #IPv6.
- Listen to a podcast about IPv6 and share that episode or show with other people.
Or… whatever else you can do to help IPv6 grow! Thank you for your help – and let’s see how we get to even higher deployment numbers.
Happy 7th Launchiversary!